Keeping your pet safe on Valentine’s Day

huskylove

Valentine’s Day is a time that we all like to sweep our loved ones off their feet. However many items associated with the typical Valentine’s Day celebration can be dangerous to our four legged friends.

  • Candy 

Of all candy, chocolate is most poisonous to dogs. Many dogs are inherently attracted to the smell and taste of chocolate, making it a significant threat. In general, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more poisonous it is. The chemicals in chocolate that are dangerous – methylxanthines – are similar to caffeine and more heavily concentrated in the darker varieties. In fact, just 2-3 ounces of Baker’s chocolate can make a 50-pound dog very sick. Milk chocolate, on the other hand, is less dangerous. It can take up to a pound of milk chocolate to cause poisoning in that same 50-pound dog. White chocolate rarely causes true chocolate poisoning because it contains very low amounts of methylxanthines; however the high fat content may result in pancreatitis. If you believe your dog has ingested chocolate contact your vet immediately.

  • Candles

Candles set a romantic tone, but left unattended your pet + open flame can equal disaster. Even if your pet is not in the room, a fire in the house can spread quickly leaving your fur babies trapped.  Make sure you are practicing safety when using candles.

  • Stuffed Animals

Your pet does not know whether it’s a toy for them or a toy for your loved one.  So keep that stuffed animal out of sight & out of reach.  A pet toy is designed with your pet’s safety in mind.

Anything with magnets can do serious damage in a dog’s intestines as well.

  •  Flowers

Flowers are a timeless Valentine’s Day gift, but certain plants can pose a risk to your pet. Here is a list of dangerous plants for dogs if ingested.

Flowers and plants that cause rashes (Dermatitis):

  • Agapanthus
  • Cactus
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Ficus
  • Poison Ivy
  • Poison Oak
  • Pothos Ivy (in small amounts)
  • Primerose
  • Schefflera
  • Sumac

Flowers and plants that cause upset stomachs (Vomiting, diarrhea, and gas):

  • Agapanthus
  • Amaryllis
  • Aste
  • Baby’s Breath (Gypsophila)
  • Boxwood
  • Cala Lily
  • Carnation
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Clematis
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil (Jonquil)
  • English Ivy
  • Freesia
  • Gladiolas
  • Holly
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Kalanchoe
  • Peony
  • Morning Glory
  • Poinsettia
  • Pothos Ivy
  • Scheifflera
  • Tulip

Flowers and plants that cause organ damage (Kidney, liver, stomach, heart, etc.):

  • Azalea (in small amounts)
  • Cardboard Palm
  • Crocus
  • Foxglove
  • Juniper

 

             **DANGER!!!!!

(This following listing of Flowers and Plants can Kill Dogs!!!)

Flowers and plants that cause death:

  • Azalea (in large amounts)
  • Cyclamen
  • Delphinium
  • Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia)
  • Foxglove
  • Lantana
  • Larkspur
  • Mistletoe
  • Oleander
  • Rhododendron
  • Sago Palms

 

To alleviate any jealousy from your four legged love, be sure to go and get them their own special Pet Safe Valentine’s present.

You can find some great gift ideas in our own retail section!

Holiday Pet Boarding at Willow Pet

pet boarding long island
Willow Pet Hotel

Whether you’re hosting dinner or going out of town, let your furry one spend the holiday at Willow Pet Hotel.

Now not only can your pet enjoy bathing, grooming, exercise and snacks, but for an additional $19.99, they will be treated to a Thanksgiving meal of the same tasty items you enjoy.  The delicious holiday feast for your pouncing pal includes turkey breast, vegetable medley, yams, mashed potatoes and gravy!

One of Long Island’s oldest and most respected pet-boarding establishments, Willow Pet Hotel is a premier facility with modern amenities and a warm, caring staff.

Your pet is family, so book a room with us and give your companion a hearty holiday meal they’ll be thankful for. Space is limited, so call today!