Easter is a great time to celebrate with family, but if you have pets, there are a few extra things you might want to think about if you want to keep them happy, healthy, and safe.
Some of the typical Easter plants and flowers can be toxic for your pet.
Easter lilies are one of the most popular plants of the season, unfortunately they are also one of the most dangerous flowers you can have around your cats. Ingesting only one or two petals can be fatal to your feline friend. It can also happen when your cat grooms lily pollen off of their fur or paws. Given the high risk and the devastating consequences, the safest thing you can do is to keep these lilies out of homes with cats. The danger they pose to your cat’s health is far greater than the beauty they can add to your decorating.
Cyclamen can be bought in gardening centers and supermarkets, so they can easily end up in and around homes this time of year. Their roots contain the most poison but the flowers can be dangerous as well. Small bites may cause vomiting, drooling, and diarrhea, while eating a larger amount can result in heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures, and even death.
Though all parts of the Amaryllis plant are toxic, the bulb, which is often exposed in these plants, is the most dangerous part for your pet. Pets that eat part of the beautiful Amaryllis plant can suffer vomiting, drooling, and abdominal pain. In some cases, they may even develop a sudden drop in blood pressure or breathing problems.
Avoid an Easter Basket Disaster
Candies are made for people not dogs. While it is commonly known that chocolate is a big hazard. Lesser known is the danger that sugar-free candy can pose to your pet. Many sugar-free gums and candies now contain xylitol, a sugar substitute that, though it may be beneficial for people with diabetes and a high risk of cavities, is highly toxic to dogs.
Even a small amount of xylitol can cause a steep drop in your dog’s blood sugar, leading to seizures, and possible coma or death. Xylitol can put your dog into liver failure from which they are unlikely to recover, even with intensive veterinary care. Ingestion of any candy should lead to an immediate call to your veterinarian or one of the animal- specific poison control centers.
Keep raisins, as well as grapes and currants, well away from your dogs as they can cause acute kidney failure in some dogs. Kidney failure is debilitating, expensive to treat, and often fatal.
If you have pets, stay away from Easter grass. This common filler of Easter baskets is often too tempting a ‘toy’ for pets to stay away from, particularly cats. When ingested, Easter grass has a high likelihood of causing irritation or obstruction of your pet’s intestines. Such digestive problems will likely result in a decrease in energy level and appetite, as well as vomiting and diarrhea. And while the irritation may resolve with at-home care, it just might require several days in the vet hospital, too. Any obstruction, on the other hand, will most certainly require surgery to correct. This means a stay in the hospital for your pet, and a bill typically upwards, and sometimes well upwards, of $1,000 for you.
The Dangers At Easter Dinner
Pork roast & Ham
These high fat and high salt meats can pose a danger to your pet in large amounts. A little sneak isn’t going to be dangerous, but multiply that with a house full of people, your pup can be in for one big tummy ache. Ask your guests to refrain from feeding your pup at the table.